SUMMARY: [asterisk-biz] Does VoIP Really Work for Serious Business?

Hugh L. Johnson hugh-lists at teknology.net
Fri Mar 10 06:24:49 MST 2006

It's all about latency.  The roundtrip ping times across my DSL circuit
(Verizon ATM cloud) to my ISP's router (One hop away) are approx 25ms.
My ISP has a PRI which I use for all incoming and local outgoing calls.
For these calls the quality is better than when I had an analog phone at
home.

For most of my LD calls I use a budget 1 cent per minute VoIP provider.
(*For calls where I absolutely need quality, I send those across the PRI
as well.)  The call quality isn't nearly as good when routing the calls
over the internet, but it shouldn't be expected.  I get what I pay for.
I'll bet if I purchased a point-to-point circuit to the budget VoIP
provider the calls would sound wonderful, but of course that is cost
prohibitive.