[asterisk-biz] Does VoIP Really Work for Serious Business?

Chris Mason (Lists) lists at masonc.com
Tue Mar 7 17:57:26 MST 2006

Voip Xpress wrote:
> Discussion...is VoIP really ready for serious business use.
>
> We have been installing Asterisk for customers for about a year now,
> and we are beginning to wonder if parts of VoIP are really ready for
> serious business.  Long Distance in particular is a problem.
I'm not sure why you bother in the US where LD is cheap, I suspect you
are faced with diminishing returns as LD gets cheaper via TDM. In the
Caribbean where LD to the US costs over $1/min, we have far more
problems with our internet providers, lots of dropped packets, and still
no-one has called me up and asked me to take the PBX back. When you go
into a small company who is spending $4,000 a month on LD and you
replace that with a system that saves $3,000, they learn to put up with
any shortcomings.
I  tell  customers up front, it will not be as reliable as PSTN calls.
I promote our "Dial9" option that routes LD through PSTN if they preface
with "9". No-one ever uses it.

In short, if the value added is significant and people know the
drawbacks, people put up with shortcomings. But don't sell VOIP as being
better than PSTN, it isn't. People do not hear quality, but they sure
hear drop outs.

--
Chris Mason
NetConcepts