[asterisk-biz] Does VoIP Really Work for Serious Business?

Mark mark at asteriskswitch.com
Tue Mar 7 14:15:44 MST 2006

I feel inclined to reply to this, so therefore I am replying

First, if you are talking about International Long distance problems of
echos, and not connecting are fairly normal.

Secondly, If you are using the cut rate providers, well you get what you
pay for. For instance I used to buy cheap toll free origination from a
company whose name is well known (and slips my mind at the moment) for 2
cents per minute. Unfortunately the provider they use is Global
Crossing. Global Crossing's toll free sucks, not to mention that there
is a scam on some Mexico Pay Phones that is the second reason I am
boycotting Global crossing (Charging $75 US for a 10 minute collect call
to the USA when the recipient is NOT a Global Crossing subscriber, and
they quote lower when asked, as if every call will terminate to a Global
Crossing subscriber!), although stickers say it is the cheapest way to
call home! Most of the toll free I am now using I pay nearly twice the
price for, however it is accessible from all 50 states as well as Canada
and originates from Sprint. I have had exactly one outage that I am
aware of in the last 8 months or so.

Thirdly, I may well be flamed for this next part, however PART of the
problem MAY be Asterisk! Asterisk favors Native bridging unless
explicitly forced to do otherwise. After having worked with a variety of
media types over more thanb 25 years, I will say that less is best. In
other words, why use Asterisk Native bridging when it may not be the
highest quality call that you can deliver? There is really no reason in
most cases to pass the media through an asterisk box, unless you need to
transcode it.

Mark