[asterisk-biz] Update: REMWAVE Carrier Solution

Nikolai Manek manek at nikotel.com
Fri Jun 30 10:07:42 MST 2006

After releasing our free VoIP carrier solution yesterday we got lots of
questions from which I would like answer a couple in this group:

1. The billing core is running on Oracle 10g but it is NOT necessary to
purchase a full Oracle license for setup. Up to 2GB of customer data (which
is a lot!) the solution is optimized to run on Oracle Express 10g which is
free for development and deployment. After outgrowing this database there
are several options for getting cutting edge Oracle solutions at reasonable
pricing on an annual payment base. Our solution is scaling from thousands to
millions of customers from day one. But as I said: it is completely free for
smaller (a couple thousand users are no problem) deployments on Oracle
Express which can be downloaded here:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/xe/index.html

2. Our business model was asked several times: REMWAVE is a software
engineering company specialized in carrier solutions. We are selling
service, support, customizing and additional solutions for almost every need
I can imagine in ITSP deployments.

3. Is REMWAVE open source: The solutions are partly open and in parts not.
We are working on opening more and more opening up the development process
but need some time for doing so. REMWAVE solutions where under development
for almost 6 years now and we are using partly proprietary libraries which
need to be replaced and there are millions(!) of lines of code left which
need to be documented more. The problem with open sourcing billing engines
is that the smallest change can mess up very important things (bills to the
customer) and we need to be 100% sure that we point out where things can go
wrong.
4. Asterisk integration: Asterisk is used for many scenarios as gateway and
feature server. Asterisk is gaining lots of momentum and is one of the most
significant achievements of the open source movement and Mark Spencer and
his Digium are doing an outstanding job. So we are very committed for
Asterisk being an integral part of these solutions. But it is NOT another
Asterisk based solution. Members of our team have been committers to the
Asterisk source base since years, especially for the SIP part. But it also
works fine with Cisco gateways and others.

5. Are there more solutions coming? Yes, over the next weeks you will see
calling card gateways, callback, callthrough, autodialer, and solutions to
tie them all together for larger installations.

I hope this could answer lots of questions. Other than that I promise I will
keep my announcements shorter in the future;-)

Best

Nikolai Manek
http://www.remwave.com