[asterisk-biz] Skype Free International Calls

Craig Lawrence craig at mytel.net.au
Fri Jun 23 20:08:38 MST 2006

Frank, I suspect you're correct:

1. Imagine you are the guy at eBay that told ebay management and
shareholders to buy Skype and the justification was the "potential". Now
that you have got your way and Skype is your baby what do you do now?

2. Answer is: Keep the dream of the future "potential" alive by
continuing to chase customer growth without keeping an eye on profits.
Because if you shift the focus to the bottom line the growth dies and
the valuation of the business looks very sick.

3. Whilst you focus on future potential your investors are not going to
be able to prove you wrong (well for a while anyway, this approach is
coming undone for Vonage at the moment).

4. Back during the discussion of Skype's valuation a business analyst
questioned Skype's potential for future SkypeOut revenues if there was
interoperability with other SIP networks AND ENUM +/or Dundee style
solutions were adopted uniformly.  The analyst was never given a
definitive answer as there just isn’t one. Only time will tell.....

Cheers