[asterisk-biz] Skype Free International Calls

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Jun 22 05:31:35 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 21:57 +1000, Craig Lawrence wrote:
> Can anyone make sense of Skype's business model? See this...
>
> http://www.amperordirect.com/pc/r-skype-news/z-news-062106a.html
>
> I assume I'm missing something.
>
> Thanks

Near as I can tell they are doing this as a loss leader to build a brand
name and market acceptance.  IE build their user base so it can become
profitable.

They are also fighting the war against companies like sony and google
that advertise this great new voip thing that doesnt let you do any pstn
interconnection.  Companies like those, while their product may be good
or not (and that doesnt matter for this point) create the illusion that
voip cant bridge to regular telephones.  That is also why vonage so
aggressively advertises that you can infact call and receive calls "to
regular telephones".

At least that is how I see it on this issue, I may be wrong, but if
anything I am willing to bet that I am right, even if its not the whole
motive.

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378
http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!