[asterisk-biz] Polycom, Linksys and gigabit ehternet

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Thu Jun 15 09:47:49 MST 2006

Doing PoE on GE is somewhat more complicated. As you might or might not
know, 100Mbit ethernet uses 4 out of 8 pins on rj-45 connector. PoE uses
the remaining pins. However, GE uses all 8 pins, so doing PoE and GE at
same time requires doing "DC bias" on those pins, and specific support on
the switch (PoE negotiation so existing equipment won't be damaged by this
DC).

-alex