[asterisk-biz] Defining a remotely supported AsteriskPBX product

paul at xedos.net paul at xedos.net
Thu Jun 15 01:54:08 MST 2006

I've been spending some time trying to define a remotely supported Asterisk PBX
product and attempting to differentiate what could be defined as the base
product from what are add-ons.  The typical customer I had in mind is smaller
office with no knowledge of administering VoIP and no real wish to know beyond
the basics. A separate adsl link both for ssh-ing in and voip calling would be
installed along with a separate phone/PBX lan. The idea of trying to define the
product tightly is so add-ons could eventually become clickable options in a
Dell-style configurator - much like the approach used by www.switchvox.com
The list may be of use to others, but as I have no prior commerical experience I
could well be getting it wrong so should be treated with caution.

The base product is:-
Asterisk PBX configured with
    * Voip routing with pstn fallback
    * sip phones configured
    * separate adsl based wan setup with QoS
    * dedicated vlan setup to segment Phones / PBX from data network.
    * extensions defined with user names,voicemail and basic routing rules
(day/night mode)
    * basic ring group if required
    * basic ivr if required
    * conference extension
    * music on hold if required
    * inbound/outbound call testing,
    * sip phones connected
    * pbx monitoring and remote backups
    * 1/2 day training + user guide
    * support for all of the above included as part of the product

Extras would be:-
    * additional pstn lines + configuration into pabx
    * additional phones and extension confiuration beyond initial order
    * more advanced ivr
    * agi scripting
    * more complex queues, routing rules
    * homeworker connectivity to switch via vpn

I was also planning some self-care elements once I've found a gui package that
can do such things as:-
    * meet-me/ follow-me
    * schedule wake-up calls
    * voicemail handling