[asterisk-biz] FCC ruling that requires all VoIP providers tomakewiretapping

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Tue Jun 13 07:50:17 MST 2006

> Now if the government was listening to everyones calls like the claims
> go, why do they need this?  Kinda makes you think they arent doing
> what is claimed.

	These laws have the effect of "leveling the playing field" in favor of
incumbent telcos. Raising the costs of making VoIP calls from nearly
free, as well as adding legal infrastructure overhead, starts to lock
out the bottom end (many tiny free PC-PC marketing giveaways) of the new
competition that can run circles around the incumbents. Every competitor
starts to have to be a $billion corporation with ongoing American
lawsuits. Which forces the new competitors to have lots of the same
interests as the incumbents, keeping the industry going in the same
direction defined by the incumbents.

	This strategy has worked in the drug industry. Hobbyists recording and
exchanging magnetic tapes by mail are pressured by "homeland security"
radiation examinations destroying their media, benefitting the
RIAA/MPAA. Aviation startups and spinoffs are locked out of doing it the
easy way by vast bureaucratic and technical protocols that can't be
justified by any security:cost tradeoff. The current American government
has found lots of ways to justify security requirements that don't
secure the public, but secure incumbent giant corporations from new
competition.

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 06:46 -0700, trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 09:25 -0400, William Piper wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me what is involved in a wire tap on a VoIP line?
> > Wouldn't the monitor command in the manager API work, or is it more
> > involved than that?
> >

> it should be automated on a per person basis.  The patriot act opened it
> from a singular number to a person, so they have to tell you the
> numbers, you dont have to guess but they can come to you and tell you
> that anything 'this guy' sends you have to monitor.
>
> The monitor command will be sufficient.  I have seen CDs of FBI and DEA
> wiretaps that were either CD audio or mp3s, wav should be fine as well
> (PCM format - standard MS).  There isnt a legally defined standard as to
> what format the audio needs to be in, although generally companies work
> with the government on this and provide it in standard formats.
>
> The title III warrant (what is needed for a wiretap, CDR records only
> need a subpoena however as they are business records) get renewed every
> 30 days.  They have to be presented before any calls get monitored, etc.
>
> Now if the government was listening to everyones calls like the claims
> go, why do they need this?  Kinda makes you think they arent doing what
> is claimed.

(C) Matthew Rubenstein