[asterisk-biz] Fraud

Paul ast2005 at 9ux.com
Tue Jun 6 14:13:31 MST 2006

Mike Fedyk wrote:

> Paul wrote:
>
>> I would like to get some of those numbers and do rate checks with
>> voicepulse and plainvoip using the macros they provided. It seems to me
>> that the upstream provider should be the one to prevent these calls from
>> going through.
>
> Actually, that is a great idea.
>
> Mark those numbers so that they have some high rate like $10 per
> minute so that the call won't go through you.  Also play a message
> "you may have high charges calling this number" if they haven't
> checked the rate for the number before dialing.
>
> That way, it is the customer's choice to dial the number or not and
> the worst you can be accused of is warning your customers if they
> don't have their systems setup to check the rate before dialing.

The voice warning is a great idea for all providers and pbx
administrators. Definitely worth developing. A retail voip provider
could put something in the web portal where the user specifies the rate
that triggers a warning. I suppose the best method would speak the rate:

"This call will cost forty three point five cents a minute with a
minimum billing of one minute and billing increment of six seconds
thereafter. Dial one to place the call or two to try another number."