[asterisk-biz] Need decent US Termination provider.

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Mon Jun 5 17:26:36 MST 2006

You should qualify your request with your location.  Even though IP
calls from one US coast to another only have 90ms latency, you are
exposed to more possible points of congestion with each additional
router your packets go through.  A good general rule is to look for a
provider within 1000 miles of your location, approx 10 hops, and 50ms.

Check your route to a provider's servers with ping, traceroute and mtr,
sometimes a short geographical distance is a long distance on the
network and vise-versa.

And now to keep this on topic, I have used Voxee (located in NY) and
Teliax (in CO) so far and have had better voice quality with Voxee than
with Teliax even though Voxee is closer to be in California.  Voxee
according to the wiki has a POP on the west coast, but it has not been
working over the last month that I've tried.  For my uses they are a
good backup provider when closer termination providers are not available.

Mike