[asterisk-biz] Re: VMWare

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Mon Jul 17 19:23:22 MST 2006

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Matthew Rubenstein wrote:

> 	Can Asterisk be configured so the paths through it which require the
> timing accuracy of the real CPU get those, while the rest of the server
> can be embedded in a scalable VMWare fabric?

Perhaps you could tune the living crap out of Vmware's ESX kernel to do
that, but at $6,000 / server I doubt this is within most people's reach.
Also, the clock on all Vmware products is emulated, not based on a
real-time clock, so most all real-time applications fail to work reliably
on Vmware.

> That kind of allocation
> strategy is appropriate to the scaling demands: the real servers are
> typically in linear proportion to the trunks and extensions, while
> virtual application servers and gateways to other networks/servers/apps
> scale nonlinearly/unpredictably, so benefit from virtualization. Or is
> Asterisk too monolithic to cluster at that granularity?

Asterisk is most likely far to monolithic to be able to do that.