[asterisk-biz] Re: VMWare

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Mon Jul 17 17:11:18 MST 2006

	Can Asterisk be configured so the paths through it which require the
timing accuracy of the real CPU get those, while the rest of the server
can be embedded in a scalable VMWare fabric? That kind of allocation
strategy is appropriate to the scaling demands: the real servers are
typically in linear proportion to the trunks and extensions, while
virtual application servers and gateways to other networks/servers/apps
scale nonlinearly/unpredictably, so benefit from virtualization. Or is
Asterisk too monolithic to cluster at that granularity?

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 15:44 -0700, Erick Baum wrote:
> Maybe the new server product doesn't have this problem.  But my issue
> with VMware'ing Asterisk has always been a timing problem and you end
> up with choppy audio.  Is there a fix to this, or does the new free
> server not have this problem?
>
> Erick
>

> On 7/17/06, Matthew Rubenstein <email at mattruby.com> wrote:
>         On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 08:41 -0400, Warren (mailing lists)
>         wrote:
>         > Bob Smith wrote:
>         > [-snip-]
>         >
>         > > vmware is bad ,
>         >
>         > What do you use as your proof of this?  I use vmware all
>         over the place.
>         >  It is a great way to virtualize dozens of discreet servers
>         onto just a
>         > few physical servers.  Plus, with the server product now out
>         of beta and
>         > totally free (as in beer) it is a great way to prototype and
>         deploy
>         > systems, especially ones that have programs that do not work
>         and play
>         > well with others.
>         >
>         > W
>
>                Actually, VMWare is generally good, one reason why it's
>         so popular. Is
>         anyone running Asterisk in a VMWare cluster that's working
>         well when
>         pausing instances and sending them across the LAN? Across a
>         WAN? Using
>         nothing but SIP, or using ZAP HW?
>

>         > asterisk-biz mailing list
>         > To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit:
>         --
>
>         (C) Matthew Rubenstein

(C) Matthew Rubenstein