[asterisk-biz] (((LRE Asterisk)))

bob murphy springsource at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 11:24:44 MST 2006

Okay,

With all do respect, I'm very familiar with the OSI model regarding where
Asterisk, IP and Layer 1 and/or physical layer (cable) all sit in the
environment.  I also know distance limitation issues.  I also know that
certain LRE technologies extend the distance of Ethernet up to 3000' over
cat2/3 wiring.   So my very simple question is:

"has anyone done it?

Thank you

On 7/12/06, equip sourcing dept <lists at klondike.com> wrote:

>  Bob:
>
> Your question is kind of obtuse, Asterisk is an application that runs over
> an IP network, not sure if you're going to get much of a response.  Should
> be worded as anyone using LRE over cat2/cat3 cabling in hotels/offices for
> networking.
>
> Distance is going to be your enemy here so answer is probably won't
> work.   Your choices are putting an ADSL DSLAM in the basement and an ADSL
> modem in the room, a TUT systems Ethernet may work, or Ethernet over
> Powerline.  All of which we've done.
>
> Let me know if you need any more information, but to give you a direct
> answer we'd need more info on the building you're working on in terms of run
> lenths, number of rooms/offices, required speeds.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Clay S Perreault
> Phase Global Limited
>
> bob murphy wrote:
>
>  Okay,
>
> Anyone tested Long Range Ethernet technology over cat 2 or 3 to enable
> Asterisk based voice services over old wiring?
>
> Anyone???

Bob Murphy
Principal

Arreva Communications