[asterisk-biz] General Asterisk Question

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Tue Jul 4 20:31:25 MST 2006

Jim Houser wrote:
>> IMHO you made a bad choice with your GS2K's. If you had bought something
>>
> like a Cisco/Linksys/Sipura or even a Polycom you'd be able to have dial
> plans loaded into the phone.
>
>   I tried a Linksys.  It was ok, but I bailed on it quick since the model I
> had did not do POE.  I also am not interested in dial plans inside phones as
> I want to keep the call control and management in a common database.  I
> belive dial plans belong in the main system and not at the device.  Managing
> each phone's dial plan sounds like more work than its worth.  Reminds me of
> the old "KSU-less" phone system offered 20 years ago.  Yeech!
You misunderstand completely.

The "dial plan" in a phone defines what pattern of numbers should
automatically send a phone number to the PBX/phone system.

Most phones use some subset of regular expressions to define the number
pattern.  Here is an example from a spa841:

*xx|[3469]11|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|xxxxxxxxxxxx.

The first will match an asterisk followed by two numbers and dial.  The
second will match, 411, 611, 911 and 311.  For more I suggest you read
about regular expressions and your phone documentation for what subset
of regular expressions it supports if any.

mike