[asterisk-biz] General Asterisk Question

Jim Houser jhouser at trustamerifirst.com
Tue Jul 4 18:06:23 MST 2006

> Just out of interest; what is your "financial company" environment?

  We are a small company servicing consumer and mortgage loans with a small
inbound center and collections group.

> Not until you commit the number to the network by pressing the send key do
you initiate a call.

  I understand this.  I am looking to provide a usability feature from the
old TDM world average users still expect.  They don't care about technology.
They simply look for it to work, and if it works different than they are
used to they either don't like it or devaluate it.  I don't agree but they
pay the bills and I look to provide them what they ask for with a minimum of
excuses.

> IMHO you made a bad choice with your GS2K's. If you had bought something
like a Cisco/Linksys/Sipura or even a Polycom you'd be able to have dial
plans loaded into the phone.

  I tried a Linksys.  It was ok, but I bailed on it quick since the model I
had did not do POE.  I also am not interested in dial plans inside phones as
I want to keep the call control and management in a common database.  I
belive dial plans belong in the main system and not at the device.  Managing
each phone's dial plan sounds like more work than its worth.  Reminds me of
the old "KSU-less" phone system offered 20 years ago.  Yeech!

> Why are you trying to wrestle with H323?  As you have a T1 interconnect
from your Lucent to your Asterisk you are forced to use the Asterisk server
from beginning to end of your call.  Why not use SIP?

  I use Asterisk as a gateway from out of state branch office and SOHO
deployments using IAX2.  The T1 allows a branch user to dial 4-digit Avaya
extensions and ring their phone.  I have routes in the Avaya to allow an
Avaya deskset to 4digit dial a branch or SOHO user at the end of an IAX
line.  The brach & SOHO dial 9 and originate LD our Avaya T1 pipes.  I've
also recenting added a new "internet" route to my Avaya ARS that goes out
Asterisk.  We are building a centralized single managed system regardless of
where the end user resides.  I'm not looking to blow away the Avaya, just
make both systems live together happy.  My reason for needing H.323 is that
I am breaking the T1 down coming out of the Avaya with a digital cross
connect and only have 18 channels pointed at Asterisk with the other 6
pointed at another system.  This T1 is RBS and I cannot pass inband ANI
across it to Asterisk from my S8300.  I'm hoping I can use H.323 between
Asterisk and the Avaya with the intent of replacing my Audix voice mail.  I
like Asterisk's voice mail a lot better but need to pass it ANI and Avaya
station numbers to have it work seamless like Audix does.

Thanks for the help.
Your suggestions are appreciated.
Jim