[asterisk-biz] General Asterisk Question

VoIP Street - Todd Routhier toddr at voipstreet.com
Tue Jul 4 09:01:07 MST 2006

I believe this is mostly a function of the phone or ATA you choose and
how configurable it is. I have certainly come across IP phones with no
send button and of course analog phones hooked up to ATAs don't have
send buttons.

More than likely you will find some timeout value to set on many of
these IP phones as well as some other handy settings which will
accomplish the functionality you are looking for.

For example, within our company we use mostly ATAs instead of IP phones
due to the lack of good multi-line cordless IP phones available. We use
Sipura ATAs (SPA2000) with Uniden 2 line cordless phones which are great
by the way. When I dial a number I normally press the pound sign after I
dial which acts as a send button. Thing is, I do not have to press send,
it just speeds up the process. If I wait a few seconds the dial just
happens automatically without pressing the pound key. I am pretty sure
that this is just a timeout value which can be set within my adapter.

As far as I know, Asterisk just takes the string of numbers all at once
and does it's business once the phone/ATA sends them to it.

So, the moral to the story here is that you should probably be looking
at the configuration of the end user devices rather than Asterisk for
this functionality.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, I would not want to steer Jim
in the wrong direction here.

Regards,
 Todd Routhier
 http://www.VoIPstreet.com