[asterisk-biz] Is ISP Blocking VoIP

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Jan 31 16:58:37 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 18:36 -0500, Cirelle Enterprises wrote:
> When the FCC deregulated the phone companies, Verizon took this as an OK
> to put the competition out of business.
>
> They did this to some DSL companies here in the northeast by placing
> fiber shunts in the system and blocking dsl access (dsl does not work
> over fiber) so the dsl companies could not service a fairly large
> segment of the population "sorry but dsl is not available in your area".
>
> They are currently  working on  local telco companies, by providing
> intermittant service to their customers, with a follow up phone call to
> switch to Verizon for better service!
>
> VIOP is a threat to their phone business, which appears to be a cash
> cow, and they certainly will try to protect "Their" investment.
>
> my 2cents

Phone companies are not totally deregulated, and I believe I heard that
the FCC ruled (after the fact) that they could not outright block VoIP
service.  There are devices being marketed and p[resumably sold to ISPs
that cause a high amount of jitter virtually making it impossible to
connect.  I could be wrong about all this, I dont have anything to cite
offhand, but if one were interested I would recommend google, the inssue
wasnt that long ago when I heard about it, although admittedly I never
read anything proper at the time.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378