[asterisk-biz] Is ISP Blocking VoIP

Cirelle Enterprises gcirino at cirelle.com
Tue Jan 31 16:36:27 MST 2006

J Thomas wrote:

>I provide hosted PBX service to businesses. About a dozen of them. All
>of them were working great, but this morning suddenly, 3 places have
>gone dead. None of the phones from those three places would register
>with my server :-(
>
>As the remaining 10 places are working just fine, hence I am reluctant
>to blame this failure on Asterisk.
>
>Changes is firewall setting at customer site could be a cause, but very
>unlikely that three of them decided to do that at the same time.
>Moreover, I specifically asked all three of them and none of them have
>messed up with their routers.
>
>Only thing common among them is that they all have business DSL from
>Verizon. Could it be that, possibly inadvertently, Verizon is doing
>something that is blocking VoIP? In any case, how to to find out why
>VoIP is not working?
>
>In this case, all the clients have Polycom phones, about 30 among all
>three.
>
>Thanks,
>-- jt

When the FCC deregulated the phone companies, Verizon took this as an OK
to put the competition out of business.

They did this to some DSL companies here in the northeast by placing
fiber shunts in the system and blocking dsl access (dsl does not work
over fiber) so the dsl companies could not service a fairly large
segment of the population "sorry but dsl is not available in your area".

They are currently  working on  local telco companies, by providing
intermittant service to their customers, with a follow up phone call to
switch to Verizon for better service!

VIOP is a threat to their phone business, which appears to be a cash
cow, and they certainly will try to protect "Their" investment.

my 2cents

--
Best Regards

Greg Cirino