[asterisk-biz] Open Proposal

Jason Becker jason at coalescentsystems.ca
Wed Jan 25 11:32:03 MST 2006

Robert Roach wrote:
> Hi C F,
>
> If you care to elaborate, I would be happy to know what you think the
> major problems would be in getting something like this off the ground.
> I can think of a few on my own, but any insights you can share can only
> help to further refine what needs to be done to get us from here to
> there, so to speak.

In my mind it boils down to lack of agreement *within the Asterisk
community* upon a standardized implementation of Asterisk as an SMB IP
PBX. Digium has ABE - but ABE is an implementation with standardized
*binaries* - not a base level of standardized *functionality*. We are
the stewards of AMP - which has been downloaded in one form or another
(i.e. Asterisk at Home) over 400,000 times. In most circles that would
likely signal that's the implementation to make a bet on, but the
toolkit nature of Asterisk and human nature probably preclude consensus
on the matter. I'm not proselytizing... just sharing insights.

Regards,
--
Jason Becker
Director & CEO