[asterisk-biz] I need your skiils, but I can't hire you

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Sat Jan 21 14:57:11 MST 2006

Michael S. White wrote:

>Need great phone support for your customer? Just bundle Asterisk Business
>Edition in to your solution.
>
>Two things happen when you do this.
>
>(1) You help support Asterisk and Digium
>
>(2) You guarantee great support for your client.

The second item there may be well and true; I can't say for myself as
I've never chosen to turn to Digium for support.

However, I contend that, in the case of the first item, you should
reconsider the wording there.  If you bundle ABE into your solution you
certainly help support Digium.  And for many people in this community
that, in and of itself, is "a good thing to do" (tm).  But as far as
bundling ABE into your solution helping the Asterisk community itself
(which I assume is what's meant by saying "help support Asterisk"), I'd
say that this is also true, to an extent, but not nearly as much as it
helps support Digium.

Asterisk is bigger than Digium.  If you want to support the Asterisk
community it can be done perhaps just as effectively in countless ways
besides or in addition to bundling ABE.  Yes, purchasing a Sangoma card
helps the Asterisk community.  Contributing code helps.  Participating
in these mailing lists helps.  Hiring an Asterisk consultant, even
outside of Digium, helps.  Merely using Asterisk helps.  Reporting bugs
helps.  In fact, I would even contend that the activity going on in
competing or collaborative forks helps.  The list goes on and on.  Now,
some of these "other" methods may not help Digium at all, but you can
still help Asterisk without helping Digium.

So, I'm okay with the idea that getting ABE helps Digium and even the
Asterisk community to a lesser extent.  But what I disagree with is the
concept that the only way to help the community is through filling
Digium's pockets.

Lee.