[asterisk-biz] Asterisk Licensing Question

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Jan 17 05:26:14 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 07:08 -0500, Steve Totaro wrote:
> Here is an email I received from Digium about licensing, is this
> referring to ABE?:

I think so the literature I have states that they have basically the GPL
and ABE versions, now the exact licensing details for ABE may vary, but
this is why code is disclaimed to allow them to do this.  This was also
aparently why they went from GNU readline to NetBSD code way back when
(asterisk 1.0.2 appears to have the NetBSD code so its at least that far
back when asterisk no longer was valid under the GPL).

> Asterisk is indeed available from Digium as a commercially licensed
> product for customers that have applications for which the GPL is not
> appropriate.  The license is granted per server (PC), and its price
> depends on the number of simultaneous calls you plan to support, and the
> number of licenses you purchase.  An annual maintenance agreement allows
> you to receive updates and incorporate them into your product, and
> extends the technical support and legal protections granted under the
> license.

The literature that digium has (glossy flyer type things) states that it
will do 120 calls, and for extra money 240 calls.  But it removes the
gpl requirements, although in general the gpl isnt that hard to work
with for most business models, there are some however where that isnt
the case (and probably a larger percentage where the people making the
decisions refuse any gpl software).

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378