[asterisk-biz] Asterisk Licensing Question

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue Jan 17 05:08:48 MST 2006

Here is an email I received from Digium about licensing, is this
referring to ABE?:

Asterisk is indeed available from Digium as a commercially licensed
product for customers that have applications for which the GPL is not
appropriate.  The license is granted per server (PC), and its price
depends on the number of simultaneous calls you plan to support, and the
number of licenses you purchase.  An annual maintenance agreement allows
you to receive updates and incorporate them into your product, and
extends the technical support and legal protections granted under the
license.

The license is intended for applications where there is the potential
for quantity sales.  Therefore, there is an initial up-front fee of
around $3000, and quarterly minimums of around that same amount that
commence within six months of the license.  These are somewhat dependent
on the size of the application and the legal fees we incur in drafting
and negotiating a custom agreement with you.

As a first step in the license process, we ask that your company sign a
mutual Non-Disclosure Agreement with Digium so we can confidentially
discuss your application in detail, and I can give you the license terms
and prices.  If that's acceptable, please respond to me directly at my
email address below (jwebster at digium.com), and I'll gladly forward to
you our standard NDA for your review.