[asterisk-biz] European VoIP providers

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Jan 14 08:14:03 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 07:01 -0800, trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
> moderated lists can get you into trouble if you arent really careful :/
> At least in america - and the laws here generally apply to a list or
> service if there is one customer from here that is a subscriber.

I want to qualify this before someone starts getting uppity over it.

If you are 100% in a foreign country, a judge cannot order assets to be
turned over becuase there are none in america to seize.  A jduge cannot
order that a site be taken down  that isnt in their jurisdiction.
Further extradition over something like this isnt likely (but that
odesnt mean it wont happen).  If you fly into the US they can nab you
(and have done so to people in the past, even if you just fly through
they force people to clear customs quite a bit and that is a
multi-decade thing so ...).  Then if you fly into a country that will
extradite to the US that country can nab you.  It depends on the
severity of the offence and power of the other side to get things done.
Levin was nabbed by the UK off a flight (st petersburg based guy that in
1993 was accused of stealing $10M from citibank via their insecure shiva
lan rovers that had a default admin account enabled, odds are he was a
patsy but he was arrested none-the-less).  While its unlikely anything
approaching that value would be posted, CoS got stuff in europe done
even though the law seemed to be against it, anyone remember
anon.penet.fi?

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378