[asterisk-biz] European VoIP providers

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Jan 14 08:01:26 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 16:26 +0200, Christopher Bergström wrote:
> You're trying to be somewhat politically correct.. This takes away from
> the fun of it..

I forgot my book of snappy insults :)  Plus sending an email with the
intent to annoy is now illegal in america (it was a rider tacked onto a
bill no one could really vote against - unclear if it will be enforced,
but a felony for being anoying?  That is a bit much and possibly
unconstitutional if not at least vague, there is no legal definition of
'anoying').

> btw.. I'm highly considering forking this list and starting a moderated
> * biz list elsewhere.. I'll keep everyone posted/spammed of my
> intentions or contact me offlist with ideas/feedback.

good luck with that, dunno how well forked lists work, people have tried
for other reasons and those have never worked out well (specifically
with the asterisk community).  And if you cause either too high of a
delay or to ostrict of a moderation filter it may not be liked by enough
people and that in itself causes problems.

Also a note, if you plan on either having the list in the US or serving
US people with the list research um ??? v Prodigy Networks sometime in
the late 80s/very very early 90s.  There is another case, I want to say
it involved Netcom with  the inverse results, but dont remember this was
a case I studied back in 1992-1994 sometime when I was first starting to
really study law.

Prodigy had censored their lists, and then stopped.  3 months later
while uncensored some trade secrets were posted.  Prodigy was found not
guilty because they no longer moderated.  The courts decided that if you
moderate you implicitly approve everything that gets through and you
open yourself to a certain level of liability.  There was an inverse
case that proved that part of it.

The Church of Scientology v Netcom was a similar but not quite identical
case where someone posted trade secrets (their brain washing techniques
and such - at least CoS claimed that info was trade secret protected).
Netcom refused to reveal the users true identity for the usenet posting
and cancel that users account so they were found guilty (I think its an
obscure ruling but meh).

moderated lists can get you into trouble if you arent really careful :/
At least in america - and the laws here generally apply to a list or
service if there is one customer from here that is a subscriber.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378