[asterisk-biz] European voip provider..

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Wed Jan 11 02:24:26 MST 2006

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 04:33:46AM +0200, Christopher Bergstrm wrote:

> Mike Fedyk wrote:
> >How does this work for them?
> >Specifically, how do they get free calls to the USA?  Most companies
> >here like to charge per minute fees, so I'm wondering how they avoid
> >that and other problems involved with offering all of those services
> >for a low fee like that.
> It's called the law of averages..  I'm sure these larger providers are
> paying almost nothing per minute..
> .009 would probably be on the higher end and roughly speaking how many
> people do you know that uses more than 3000 minutes a month..  If I'm
> wrong someone correct me.. There are providers doing this in the US as
> well.. vonage, packet8 and others..

It is indeed, say you're a non-UK telco and you go to BT, they'll offer
you a "blended" rate for UK termination to both landlines and mobiles
(even though BT don't have a mobile network). Mobile termination is much
more expensive than fixed termination.

There used to be a lot of tromboning from UK operators, who would send
their mobile traffic out to say a French operator, and they'd bounce it
straight back, therefore getting the non-UK belended rate. BT put a stop
to that as they check for tromboning and charge normal mobile
termination for tromboned calls. Under ITU regs full CLI must be passed
when passing calls.

In the US some telco will offer low termination charges for high volumes
and the French company works that on average most people wont make
enough calls to hit the $x per month they charge.

In the UK there's lots of companies offering flat-rate CPS (carrier pre
select) services, many of these initially included non-geographic within
their fixed price plans, but rapidly excluded them as they were in
danger of losing money, so nearly all say calls to 01/02 which are
geographic (and have very low termination if the telco has built out to
enough of BT's exchanges).

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44-(0)7775 755503
UK +44-(0)20 79932612 / US +1-(310)8577715 / Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM stevekennedyuk / MSN steve at gbnet.net
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com