[asterisk-biz] Eid Mubarak

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue Jan 10 14:10:58 MST 2006

Not anymore but....

http://www2.kenyon.edu/Depts/WMNS/Projects/Wmns36/violence/sacframe.htm

The basic teachings of Judaism and Christianity are rooted in
sacrificial practices which are no longer performed. What is interesting
in light of the religious ground America was built upon, is our absolute
abhorrence and ethnocentric evaluation of sacrifices, human or animal,
past and present. Perhaps Christians and Jews do not want to acknowledge
that the roots of their religions are covered in sacrificial blood as
well. True, the Biblical God did not require the large number of humans
required by other deities in other places, but the underlying principles
are similar.

The Hebrew Bible establishes sacrificial laws which broadly distinguish
between vegetable and animal offerings. Within the category of animal
sacrifices the law designated further distinctions, with one exception:
all sacrificial animals had to be blemish-free. There were three types
of sacrifices: the 'sin' or 'trespass' offering, the 'burnt' offering,
and the 'peace' offering. The sin or trespass offering could be carried
out with a male or female goat, a female lamb, a dove or a pigeon. The
blood from the sacrificed animal was "symbolically displayed in various
ways: sprinkled before the Lord, smeared on the horns of the altar and
poured out at the altar of burnt offering"(Leviticus 4,6,&14). The burnt
offering required a male lamb, ram, goat or bullock. This sacrificial
animal was burnt upon the altar in its entirety. The peace offering
could take three forms: as a token of thanks, in fulfillment of a vow,
or to confirm a peace treaty. Either sex of cattle, sheep or goats was
acceptable, and the sacrificer consumed part of his sacrificial offering
(Sacrificial Laws).

Ishmael