[asterisk-biz] Anyone recommend a good VOIP provider?

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Thu Feb 23 05:25:16 MST 2006

Mark Phillips a écrit :

> Hi Folks,
>
> A new Asterisk customer of mine showed me his phone bill yesterday.
> For 17 analogue cirsuits hes paying over $750 a month. From what I can
> see a little over $500 of that is in line charges and taxes with the
> remainder being in actual call charges.

How much would a partial PRI cost?

> We already know that he's top heavy on phone lines (he only has 10
> employees) and so we are addressing that but I've started giving some
> thought to a VOIP provider rather than stick with his analogue.
>
> In your opinion, would the migration to a VOIP provider save him
> money? Could his 3 office phone numbers (one's an 800) be ported to
> the provider? Which provider should I look at? I'd rather one that can
> do IAX2.

Unless you have rock-solid connectivity between your VoIP provider and
yourself, porting DIDs is asking for trouble. If you do this, use a
local VoIP provider and ask to see the installations and emergency
procedures in case of faulty hardware for instance.

Otherwise, I would recommend switching to a partial PRI (i.e. 10
channels only) for inbound traffic, mainly because of reliability
issues. Then for outbound, subscribe with 4-5 providers and use my "baby
lcr" Asterisk::LCR [1] to do outbound dialing. Always use the PRI as
fallback and for 911 service.

Also do not forget to have solid bandwith and do some traffic shaping.
There are a few scripts which do that on the wiki.

[1] http://ykoz.net/intl/lcr/

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.

--
Jean-Michel Hiver - http://ykoz.net/
Découvrez la Réunion des Technologies IP & Telecom