[asterisk-biz] Seattle DID

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Feb 19 23:01:27 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 23:42 -0600, Mark wrote:
> Christopher,
>
> I believe that ALL  North American DIDs are portable. I think with IP
> kall there is really little need to port away, unless of course you just
> have more money than brains (joking here, not intended personally), or
> knew that IPKall was going broke or something. Voxilla has a IPKall
> forum  . That may be an excellent place to get opinions of users.

It depends on who the 'customer' is.  If I buy a block of numbers from a
phone company I am their customer and I have to agree to have the number
ported.  If I am not a certified phone company you have no right to take
my number from me, the customer to whom the DID really is assigned.

If you are actually issued the number from a company that allows porting
or by a company that must allow (such as a certified lec/ixc) then
porting can happen, if that is not the case then you may not be able to
port.

I dont know the legal structure under which ipkall and family of sites
(they have several with different services) operate under.  If they are
their own legal entities then the rules that apply to itltd.com may not
apply, if they arent and instead illtd is directly offering those
numbers to customers then porting may be possible because most lec/ixcs
cant refuse it legally.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378