[asterisk-biz] The Value of VoIP subscribers

Yair Hakak yair at hakak.com
Sun Feb 19 07:24:36 MST 2006

again, it's a lot more complicated than a simple return on investment
period.

Example:
If i had $800,000, i could do one of 2 things:
1. buy government bonds and take home 5% a year (or whatever is the
risk-appropriate benchmark), say $40,000 a year
2. but a company that generates $200,000 a year.

Either way my money is tied up for 5 years. The key is what I end up with at
the end, not the cash flow during the period. Return on investment (payback
period) is a good method if you're comparing 2 similar investments, but
here, see what happens:
with option #1 i have 1 million dollars (ignoring compound interest) - my
original 800,000 + the interest
with option #2 i have 1 miliion dollars (my profits) + whatever the company
is worth at the end of the period (i.e. all my profits, plus the principal).

as you can see, how i value what the company is worth at the end is the
critical variable here, it is what makes me decide whether to buy the
company, or not (and buy govt bonds instead).
This means when i look at the end of the period, I have to assume a
steady-state profit from there on, which i can then do an NPV on, and
valuate today (or use some other method to value the future profits).

It's all about opportunity costs.

-yair