[asterisk-biz] free tollfree service

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Feb 17 11:11:05 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 11:39 -0600, Suzanne Bowen wrote:
> Trixter,
> I'm glad you gave your answer with mention of the associated laws. I know
> that a provider cannot listen to recorded calls. "I cant record calls
> legally..." I just want to ask, what if the customer wants his calls
> recorded and to be able to listen to them through his web-based management
> with his provider? Can't a provider make call recording available and give
> the customer this choice?

The law in the US (I dont speak for other countries as I am unaware of
those laws) allows for at least one party in the call to make a
recording (or cuase one to be made).  *some* states in the US require
all parties to be so informed.  This can be either done by anouncing
that the call is recorded (I would do that first thing on the recording)
or every 15 seconds playing a tone.

The ITU has a document E.180 which lists a bunch of tones.  The tone
that is said in that document is 1400Hz for 500ms every 15 seconds.  The
FCC does not require any specific frequency, and I am unaware of any
states requiring any specific frequency, however it must be audible.
They do require the tone to be played at least every 15 seconds though.

http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/inr/forms/files/tones-0203.pdf

I am not quite sure if this was questioning my service or not, becuase I
am unsure I would like to say that I do not have any capacity to offer
recordings of calls via a web page or any other means.  I also dont want
to waste the cpu/disk io resources of the system to record calls.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378