[asterisk-biz] How many PCI cards can one PC handle?

Alexander Lopez Alex.Lopez at opsys.com
Thu Feb 16 08:31:26 MST 2006

> Bjorn Asmul skrev:

It wasn't Bjorn, that wrote what is below, it was I.

> > Before you run into cooling problems you would run into interrupt
> > problems.
> > For this kind of setup you need Sangoma cards. www.sangoma.com They
> > outperform any other card, put less load on the CPU, and
> doesn't cause
> > problems with PCI interrupts.
> >
> Sorry Bjorn, but this is not really correct!
>
> It is Asterisk & Zaptel that dictates performance and as the
> Sangoma have to mimic Digium cards to run on the distributed
> version, how can they (out)perform differently under Asterisk?
>
> Jan

My thoughts were as follows, while you can have a machine with all the
pci slots needed filled with the cards it
Will be a very interrupt intensive machine. If you were to use 4port T1
cads the interupt load would be signifantly less than by using several
TDM2400 (iirc the interupt load on a 4port is more or les the same as a
TDM2400, with 4 times the capacity)  Heat and power consumption are
always an issue, by 'distributing' the load you will get better heat
dissapation.

I believe the TDM2400 is positioned to replace a wcte11xp and channel
bank configuration with an all Digium solution. For installations that
require 24 ports this is a great clean solution.

The Digium cards that do not use the Tiger Chipset are great, Better
than the Sangoma IMO, My opinion is based on he following: Digium cards
support Digium, narrowmided and stuborn, but an Opinion.  I hope that
Digium continues its design of products such as the TDM2400 and
continues to inprove the hardware as they do everyday.

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for Digium, but use their stuff everyday!!!