[asterisk-biz] g729 licensing (slightly technical questions)

Christopher Bergström cbergstrom at netsyncro.com
Sun Feb 5 05:15:21 MST 2006

Hej Bret,

I have a feeling this is going to be a hit.  Every bit of it makes sense
from an outside perspective.  My only question is what is your plan for
rapid growth?  I imagine that the "global pool" doesn't have much to do
with water and much more to do with a database.  So.. MySQL, PostgreSQL
or Oracle?  Clustering/ Failover/ HA? Now comes the question of if
you're tying in clients from all over the place you'll have to deal with
authentication...  We can assumed SSL/TLS, but what language and how
portable is the client app? (What's to stop someone malicious from
trying to abuse the system.)  Also.. how do you plan to handle the
metrics for how long a codec is "checked out" from the global pool.
Will there be some automagical method to release those back to the
pool?  I can easily see you quickly gaining 100 customers and a global
pool of codecs in the thousands.  (Just from this list as advertising)

If the box you are going to put at customers location checks out some
licenses..
    When does it release those licenses?
    Will the release be triggered from your server or that client box?
If from the server then that means a direct connection to the internet..
(firewalls,proxies...)

Is there source coming with this entire solution?
How will you manage updates to this box or will it be customers
responsibility from that point?

I may not have a good understanding of this so if completely irrelevant
just ignore.  Just curious is all..  Sounds great and I look forward to
it :)

Cheers,

C.

ps. Let me know offlist if you want to talk high performance db and a
distributed client base.