[asterisk-biz] g729 licensing

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Feb 5 04:59:03 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 15:37 +0400, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> I like the idea of "burstable" codec usage. In that respect, "autobuy"
> is a great feature. If you use more, you receive an invoice which you
> pay. Perfect "pay as you grow" kind of solution.

That will only be available on an opt-in basis with the community
system.  We cannot guarantee network connectivity from standalone
license servers so we cant do it reasonably that way.  We also feel that
making this opt-out would be a worse choice, if its going to cost
someone something they should have to take a postive action to enable
that rather than one to disable that.  Just a personal preference, but
since we are implementing it we get to make that decision :)

> Oh don't get me wrong, I was in no way criticizing your businesses. Most
> profitable businesses are often built on the back of such absurdities. I
> believe your business makes this absurdity less absurd in a legal way,
> which is a fantastic idea.

Thanks, I always liked the idea of network based servers than tying
something to a physical machine.  Some products give you that option,
most dont.  This ensures that the product is only used once per license,
so it protects the entity behind it from piracy type activities, however
the twist that I have put on this, which afaik no one else has done, is
to share in a community pool, all available licenses so they can be
borrowed as needed but some guarantees that hoarding doesnt occur.  It
also guarantees for the most part that you get at least as much as you
paid for.  It would take a considerable percentage of users of the
system to max out their quotas to exhaust the pool and this action would
be detectable.  Offenders could then be disallowed to get any more than
they contribute (ie no more 10% slack).

I dont expect that to be much of a problem however, as the option to not
contribute to a global community pool is there, and if they didnt want
to contribute why would they just so they could hoard their licenses?  I
think that is the least of the concerns with this project :)

> As such I predict it will be highly profitable... I'll probably use it!

highly profitable is not likely, given the cost we are charging and the
licensing fee for the codecs themselves.  :)

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378