[asterisk-biz] g729 licensing

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Feb 4 19:16:41 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-04 at 20:48 -0500, Steve Totaro wrote:
> Well I am looking at purchasing 672 licenses.  Digium gives a little
> price break over 500 licenses, they only charge $8/each.  Somehow I
> would like to see how your model could possibly help my situation rather
> than helping everyone else's.

Well there are two options, one is you get your own server, and if you
exhaust your licenses you get no slack.  Due to the way that codecs are
done in asterisk there is no way to tell if a license is avialable until
the codec is chosen, and then without a codec being familiar with all
channel types no way for it to say 'eeps go try another'.  Idealy during
the SDP in sip or whatever signalling protocol is used the check would
be performed and codecs that arent really available not offered, but
this hook doesnt (currently) exist and if it did would require all
codecs upgraded to support it.

So in short if you run your own server you would not be able to get
extra licenses if you run out and the call would end up with 'dead
air'.

Only in the community model can you borrow licenses from someone else
and thus get temporary extra licenses.  We capped it at 10% to avoid
people ordering 1 license and using 1000 all the time.  This way we can
more effectively manage the licenses without running out ourselves and
having to buy more from sippro.com.  We added the auto purchase option
on the community based model for people that really want to ensure that
calls dont fail should they exceed that 10% soft quota buffer.

So you dont have to help others out if you dont want to.  Its all about
choice and freedom, you dont even have to choose our implementation, you
have that much choice with us :)

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378