[asterisk-biz] Sponsor Asterisk development project: SIP attended transfers

Olle E Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Feb 1 05:05:09 MST 2006

trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 12:38 +0100, Olle E Johansson wrote:
>
>>trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
>>

>>>I think what you are saying, and please correct me if I am wrong, is
>>>that most of what you are doing in terms of these features is already
>>>done, and that its to work with the current chan_sip, basically just
>>>adding features to it.
>>>
>>>Is that correct?
>>>

>>Yes, the work that this mail thread is about, is done on current chan_sip.
>>
>>Moving to another SIP library is something to be considered for a future
>>version of chan_sip, in the chan_sip3 project.
>

> Now to ask what appears to me to be an obvious question.  Again not to
> demean any work that you have done, nor the situation that it put you
> in, but if chan_sip3 would be a new sip stack and in theory obsolete
> your work by using a sip stack that presumably has all the features you
> described plus potentially additional ones (CNG, VAD, etc) why should
> resources not be put towards that project instead?
>
> I understand that this can sound inflamatory and that is not my intent,
> email often sounds different than it is intended, either too harsh or
> too jovial, my intent is just to gather information.

Good question. Chan_sip3 is propably a year from now. I will look for
sponsors for that development soon, but a lot of service providers and
users need improved SIP transfer support sooner than that, in a stack
that even with the flaws it has, is tested. Chan_sip3 will, knowing
history, take a few development cycles to complete and be stable enough
to run in a service provider or business production environment.

/O