[asterisk-biz] Linksys SPA-XXX

Tom Schouteden tom at linugen.com
Wed Dec 13 03:43:38 MST 2006

asterisk-biz-request at lists.digium.com wrote:
> Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 08:55:34 +0100
> From: Ron Arts <ron.arts at neonova.nl>
> Subject: Re: [asterisk-biz] Linksys SPA-XXX
> To: Commercial and Business-Oriented Asterisk Discussion
> 	<asterisk-biz at lists.digium.com>
>
> Brian Franklin schreef:
>> I do not hear much on the list regarding the Linksys SPA-9XX VoIP phones.
>>
>> I have had MUCH success with these sets in my installs.
>>
>> The TFTP auto config is a life-saver.
>>
>> Anybody else using these?
>>

> We have stopped using them. Things our customers complained about:
>
> 1. You cannot disable showing missed calls. Very annoying when
>     people are in groups or queues.
> 2. The handset mikes are low quality, if you turn away your head
>     a bit, the volume drops too much.
> 3. When booting up after reprovisioning, the phone shows the
>     previous config before applying the new one. This confuses
>     customers, because they start dialing before the phone is ready.
>     (We reprovision phones whenever a new person logs into it).
> 4. When you have a missed call, the redial button is gone, the
>     lcr button appears instead. You have to press the low
>     left button twice to wipe the missed calls. Especially bad
>     if your phone is in a group or queue and your colleagues
>     pick up the phone most of the time.
> 5. No national language support at all. The world is bigger than
>     just the US guys.
> 6. When you set factory default, the phone reboots, but you have
>     to unplug the power before the phone totally reprovisions. Bad
>     for remote support.

You should try out the latest firmware (5.1.4), it solves a number of
issues you mention here, like the ability to disable the displaying of
missed calls and national language support.

We almost exclusively use these phones, unless the customer wants any of
these:

- External directory support in the phone
- BLF indication
- Extension keypad

It would be nice if Linksys could work on these issues, especially the
external directory.  We're also looking forward to the SPA-962, has
anyone been able to put their hands on one yet?

--
Tom Schouteden
Consultant

Sipcat Voice over IP PBX - www.sipcat.com