[asterisk-biz] Suggestion for an Asterisk Product/Service Database

Gmail - PC childs.peter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 18:46:01 MST 2006

Several interesting thoughts in your comments:

First unlike the proprietary  IP-PBX vendors, most of the companies doing
Asterisk development are smaller. That's both a blessing and a curse.
Blessing, because they can be as innovative as they want, and the platform
allows - which is pretty innovative. And a curse because they are hampered
by budgets that make them less effective at sales/marketing and promotion.

Where the proprietary vendors have specialized sales/marketing and promotion
teams, have mapped customers into segments each with tuned product stories
(and possibly feature sets) most of us haven't got the resources to do that.

It behoves us to turn our disadvantages (size, regional focus etc) into
strengths. That's playing to the diversity of the product available in the
community and  potentially identifying partnerships to build strengths in
specific areas etc. That where a product and service database comes in
handy - by making it easy for us to find products and services (basted on
Asterisk) that mean we win another Asterisk customer because of innovation
and feature richness - not cost.

And you're 100% correct - Digium shouldn't direct product development - but
it helps them and us if it's easy to know what's available. Sure you could
use Google - but I'd hope that we can share stuff before it's released, or
know the developer because we've commented on similar threads. That makes it
easier to take someone's product and recommend (as an adjunct to our own of
course) to a customer.

Peter