[asterisk-biz] Slightly off-topic: Opinions of Comcastand Bellsouth?

Alexander Lopez Alex.Lopez at OpSys.com
Fri Aug 25 07:40:40 MST 2006

As far as bandwidth. BellSouth and Comcast filter ports on both of their
'residential' offerings. They do not filter on the business class. I
have seen that I do get less jitter on a DSL based network. This may due
to the fact that the CATV Internet offering is an outdated version of
the DOCSIS spec.

I would always go with a copper DSL rather than a CATV based solution.
During Hurricane Wilma my Adelphia (now Comcast) was down for about a
week b/c of damage to the cable plant. Every time I loose power on my
side of the island cable goes out as does the Internet. This is because
the CATV company does not have backup power on the RTs (Remote
Terminals) BellSouth provides power backup, as a result my 'Naked DSL'
(no dialtone on the loop) does NOT go down. As long as my UPS keeps the
DSL Router (Cayman 3347W) up and powers my ATA. All works well.

My vote goes to copper pairs.

Comcast. It