[asterisk-biz] "Reach Africa" Program

William Waites ww at groovy.net
Fri Aug 18 04:15:53 MST 2006

Perhaps Lennie's email was not worded in the best way.

It is true that in certain ways uses of VoIP (and cellular services,
for that matter) has long been far advanced in Africa compared to
elsewhere.

It is also true that there are certain things that are much harder
to do with VoIP in Africa -- try to get a DID in any African country,
for example. It /is/ possible, but it is not nearly commoditized to
a level where you just go to a website and allocate one, point finale,
fini. The regulatory régimes, in degrees varying by country, and the
influence of the large carriers make this so.

Also consider that in many parts of the continent (i.e. outside big
cities), Internet access is rather scarce and cleverer strategies
for using the available tools are needed.

Lennie seems to be manifesting a sincere desire to contribute what
he can to making yet further progress and is soliciting help. I've
seen nothing suggesting the contrary.

Perhaps Lennie can more clearly outline what he is envisioning be
done?

-w