[asterisk-biz] End-user web interface to self-provision DID numbers and voicemail...

VoIP Street list at voipstreet.com
Sun Aug 6 12:38:42 MST 2006

Titanium Guy wrote:
> I have a service where I'll be providing voicemail to people in the
> field and some consumers across the United States via my hosted Asterisk
> server.
>
> I need to provide them an interface to sign-up for the voicemail and
> choose various opions (DID or toll-free number, email notifications,
> email address, etc.), pay for those options with a credit card,
> and ideally update Asterisk online or batch. In many ways, I'd like to
> emulate what eVoice has done
> http://www.evoice.com/evoice/twa/page/home where people choose a number,
> and then sign-up for voicemail.
>
> In other words,
>
> 1) I'd like to be automate the provisioning of VOIP toll and toll free
> numbers. I know many VOIP carriers can do this, and I'd like to provide
> the same type of interface.
>
> 2) I'd like to be able to allow individuals to sign-up and cancel their
> voicemail accounts from a web site, and the corresponding asterisk
> configurations would be automatically updated.  Similar thing with
> provisioning of the "wake-up" service, and having people perform email
> address modifications over the web site.
>
> I know I can engage a consultant to assist with all this, but I'm
> wondering if there is software that will provide a jumpstart, or will
> get me most of the way there.  Many of the tools I've seen (e.g. ARI)
> are for administrator use vs. end-user self-provisioning.  Thanks.

One thing to keep in mind is that once you go through all the hassle of
coding "Instant Activation" of local numbers, you will soon find out
that it's tough to do that without those numbers already in your
inventory and pointing to your Asterisk system.

Considering the thousands of rate centers in the US, it can be VERY
expensive to keep all those numbers in your inventory.

There are lots of ways to deal with this issue, just wanted you to be
aware that it's not as easy with local numbers as it is with toll-free.

--
VoIP Origination & Termination Svcs.
With Superior Customer Service!