[asterisk-biz] Re: asterisk-biz Digest, Vol 25, Issue 2

Dovid Bender Asterisk at Dovid.net
Sat Aug 5 21:56:04 MST 2006

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 18:06:31 +0100
> From: Alistair Cunningham <acunningham at integrics.com>
> Subject: [asterisk-biz] Solutions for ADSL failover and load balancing
> To: Commercial and Business-Oriented Asterisk Discussion
> <asterisk-biz at lists.digium.com>
>
> We have a customer who would like to offer SIP over multiple xDSL
> circuits to their PBX customers. This is both for extra capacity using
> load balancing and for failover. The end customers will have a small
> Enswitch/Asterisk or other VoIP soft switch at their site, and who wish
> to use our customer's service for calls to and from the PSTN.
>
> Failover can be done using RIP or OSPF, but load balancing SIP across
> multiple xDSLs is a bit beyond our experience. Has anyone
> recommendations of how to do this?
>
> The DSL routers will do NAT, so there will be 2 or more separate
> external addresses (so the hosted service needs to know to deliver calls
> to all). Forwarding ports on the routers is acceptable, as is some sort
> of VPN device.
Dont know what it is called but there are DNS servers out there that can do
it based on pinging the machine to see if its up. You can also write your
own custom app. Also why dont they just put thier servers in a data center ?
Wont that be cheaper than getting multiple DSL lines ?