[asterisk-biz] Anyone see this as a potential issue coming down the road

James chaacbze at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 04:23:57 MST 2006

Hello all,

http://www.sanpedrosun.net/old/06-132.html

This is also taking place in my country. It is rumoured that the monopoly
telco, BTL, bought its Internet management software from a Chinese firm.

They are -according to folks back home- currently attempting to block
Vonage, Skype, MSN and Yahoo and all such Internet traffic.

In our case it is an overbearing foreign parasitic interest who is stifling
development and progress in our poor developing nation and holding us
ransom; Oh yes and corrupt politicians.

We are also looking at our options and one of them seem to be the agreement
signed with the WTO which expressly forbids limiting competition and I
believe access to VOIP .

Very best regards,

James

On 4/7/06, Fred Cole <fred at bluespheretech.biz> wrote:

> http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/internet/04/05/china.internet.calls.ap/index.html
>
> I have seen a few instances of this cropping up from different countries.
>
> I'd like to hear some thoughts and comments from the group to see what
> they
> think about this as it's implications have a direct impact on our
> industry.
> Undoubtedly, as VOIP grows and the major telcos struggle to compete with
> the
> impending growth in competition from VOIP, they will begin to demonize the
> technology and legally keep smaller players out of the larger market until
> they can control it.
>
> This has been the practice of major players in varying industries
> particulary
> telcos and pharmecuticals for years through the use of powerful lobbying
> which
> will result in some sort of legislation.
>
> I think this is something to keep an eye on.
>
> -fred-

"Want more? You first have to be more."
"Want a FREE IPOD, click here."
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=21017482