[Asterisk-biz] Serious Problem with SNOM Attendant phones - Need Help

asterisk at sipspain.com asterisk at sipspain.com
Wed Sep 28 05:47:16 MST 2005

Hi,

One of my biggest customer, with more than 300 hundred persons using
asterisk, is having bing problems with the SNOM phones used at the
operator position (Attendant Console). We currently have 3 operator
attending incoming calls and bypassing them to the rest of the company.

We did not find any alternative for SNOM to use as Attendant Console
(phone for the operator). We need Operators to have a keypad where the
could observe the most important extensions of the office, and be able to
transfer a call very fast (just pressing a button).

Recently, SNOM released a new model. The SNOM-360 phone, that was ideal
for that.  However, it only supports one keypad (around 30 extensions),
althought previous models were able to support several of them. SNOM tolds
us they are working on this, but they would not have a solution until end
of the year (at least). We had pay in advance for the models a lot of time
ago, but it seems there is a lot of problems with SNOM stock, and they did
not got units to server us. Finally, and due a hard preassure, SNOM sent
us directly 3 used phones they got in their lab. We received the password
of only 2 of them.

A week after being in production, we started with a lot of problems with
them. Such as phones reboot themselfes each 10 minutes. We tryed to upload
a more recent firmware, but one of them got broken.  We have NOW in
production just on phone, that still reboots each 10 minutes.  Problem is
on the SNOM phone, since with all the phones we have connected to Asterisk
everything goes ok.

Customer is unable to attend all theirs calls, and is really upset.  I
need to react very fast.

Trying to anticipate to this, one of our developers did a program for the
Operator. That program used the Asterisk Manager API of asterisk in order
to check events, and allow the operator to use a program to chek extension
status and forward the call to any extension very fast. However, it seems
that Asterisk becomes unstable when has a lot of traffic and your are
using one of those programas, and having that program installed caused a
lot of crashes (we think Asterisk Manager API is not very stable, so far).
 We do not like FOP because it is complicated to use for an untrained
operator, that could easily lost calls, and do incorrect operations. We
need a more powerfull software for this.

I saw that 3COM has also attendace phones with a lot of extensions, but
they do not distribute yet that phone on Europe.  I need a very fast and
urgent solution for my operators, and have a phone for them asap.

Could any one, please, suggest me any solution ? Any one could serve me
really fast a Attendance Phone, with a lot of extensions, for using on
Asterisk to deal with this problem? (please, no more SNOMs, customer does
not want further to see them).

Since this problem is really urgent I will appreciate if any one having
any proposal could contact directly with me at andres at europesip.com.
Any suggestions of specific phones with keypads (to be used as Attendance
Phones) or programs we could use for the operator, will help a lot.

kind Regards,

Andres