[Asterisk-biz] Anyone a participant of Peer1.net ? Re: Quality termination and origination on the Peer1 network (www.peer1.net)

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Sun Sep 11 20:37:01 MST 2005

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, M O wrote:

> Thanks for mentioning/posting about Peer1.net.
>
> I never heard of them other than arbinet.com which is a pretty sweet
> Telecom Exchange, just that it costs $13,000 to " Participate "
>
> We need a Open Telecom Exchange where both buyers, Entities wanting DID
> #s/Termination, and Sellers, Carriers whom sell DID #s/Termination, can
> meet and " Facilitate Trade ".
>
> But the " Exchange " would HAVE to protect the buyers/sellers, and not
> cut and run when the sellers DONT live through their service for the
> month.
>
> Peer1.net seems to be this but I'm not a member. I have a email in, but
> thats about it.

> Anyone care to shed any light on Peer1.net?
You must be on crack.

Peer1 is just another tier-2 backbone, who happens to own serverbeach (one
of the el-cheapo-unmanaged-dedicated-server). Peer1 has for some
undecypherable reason good reputation among gamers and WHT crowd. In my
opinion, they aren't any different from a similar competitors, and in
fact, much worse, if you just take a quick look at their map. But, this is
highly offtopic for asterisk lists.

Regarding what you suggest: open exchange. That is not easily done -
simply because, when you start doing anything that involves money, you
either can abstain from participating (and then, you are just a glorified
Layer-2 fabric, like Shrihari's VPF), or you have to be a real business,
running credit checks for customers, collections, etc. Running a real
business costs real money.

In a grand scale of things, 13k$ startup fee to join arbinet is
significant enough to deter lemonade stands, but if you are doing serious
business, it isn't significant. Your switch will cost you more than that.

Alex Pilosov    | DSL, Colocation, Hosting Services
President       | alex at pilosoft.com    877-PILOSOFT x601
Pilosoft, Inc.  | http://www.pilosoft.com