[Asterisk-biz] Voxee.com offers free VoIP calling to those affected by Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans

Mark Phillips g7ltt at g7ltt.com
Sat Sep 10 04:40:44 MST 2005

What about those of us helping out down there?

I'm leaving this morning for the area to help out in a Red Cross
shelter. I'll be installing Asterisk in the Montomery, AL HQ and then
deploying some phones in a handfull of shelters. They will all be linked
back to the HQ via satellite internet.

Whilst the main purpose of the setup is to establish comms between the
shelters I can see a need for them to make outgoing calls and even allow
the shelter occupants to make calls.

As such there would only be a single account required but its call
volume could run into $100's of dollars a day.

Mark

Caleb wrote:
> Dear Community Members,
>
> We have been greatly heartened by the ongoing rescue efforts in the
> light of Hurricane Katrina and would like to do a small part to help
> those in a way we can.
>
> With immediate effect, Voxee will be offering free $1 calling credits
> to the continental USA to anybody who has been displaced with family
> members due to Katrina on a limited basis. If your traditional phone
> lines are down but you have other forms of internet connectivity,
> satellite, cable, wireless, etc. then you can make use of these
> credits to keep in touch with friends/relatives during these difficult
> times.
>
> In order to request for the credits, just signup for a free account on
> our website and email into our support at voxee.com helpdesk system
> stating the purpose which you will be using the credits for. Remember
> to put [Katrina Help] as the subject of your email so that we know
> what the request is about. A member of our tech support team would
> then manually make the credits upon approval, hopefully within 1-2
> days or as soon as possible.
>
> Call to Community: We hope that this small effort would be able to
> help those who truly need it and ask that only those who truly need it
> to step forward and request. After all, we only have limited resources
> and would really want to see that every bit of the budgetted funds are
> being put to good use. If we find out that customers are using this
> scheme for business or other non-related purposes, we reserve the
> right to remove the free credits.
>
> We recognise that the $1 free credit is not much, but it should be
> able to give callers approximately an hour's worth of calls. If you
> have a special request to extend more calling credits, do let us know
> as well.
>
> Feel free to email caleb.kow at voxee.com if you have any queries. Thank
> you for your time.
>
> Regards,
> Caleb K.
> http://www.voxee.com
> A service of Value Communications Pte Ltd

Mark, G7LTT/KC2ENI
Randolph, NJ
http://www.g7ltt.com