[Asterisk-biz] carrier blocking

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Oct 25 18:26:49 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 19:31 -0600, Linsys wrote:
> Finally, we sould all come up with a VPN (IPsec) Tunnel solution for VOIP,
> this would NOT be vulnerable to this type of jitter injection technique,
> however would require much more bandwidth.

Why not use a DNS tunnel, as has been proven capable of streaming audio.
Basically the data is sent as DNS lookups and replies as the response.
There is a ping that has to occur to check if the remote system has any
data, but these types of tunnels do have code for them already.

Because it works off DNS the only way to break this is to have a dummy
DNS server return the same IP and proxy everything.  Something that
would be noticed by many and undesirable for whomever manages that
system.

Many hotspots route DNS data even if you havent authenticated yet and
they block virtually everything else one way or the other.  ahem

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378