[Asterisk-biz] Opinions and experiences with ICSTEL

Vahan Yerkanian vahan at arminco.com
Wed Oct 19 06:06:08 MST 2005

Santos and others,

For what it's worth, don't do business with them. I was also thrilled by
their GSM gateway and it's cost and ordered one. Not talking about they
charged double price for the sample, it appeared a poorly designed GSM
adapter that you sometimes see in rural areas for the pay phone setups.

Basically it's a single FXS to GSM kind of box where you connect regular
analog phone and put a gsm sim card(with no pin number set) into its
slot. No ethernet ports nothing. Came with gsm antena, power adapter and
has a backup battery inside for when you lose power.

There was no documentation included, I later received a poorly written
english translation in .doc format.

Was supposed to work out of box, but the unit I received was dead brick
imho as it didn't accept any sim card from any of local gsm providers,
it was just the same dead silence with no or a sim card inserted.
ICSTELL refused to replace or refund the sample and then stopped
replying to my emails to sales at icstel.com. I'm using it as a door brick now.

The "support" was barely speaking(and understanding) English and while
they have their bank account in France, this is Chinese manufacturer.

If you wish I can send you my correspondence with them off-list.

HTH,
Vahan