[Asterisk-biz] End User Instruction Manual Problems

Tom Rymes trymes at rymesheating.com
Sat Oct 15 08:45:59 MST 2005

On Oct 15, 2005, at 8:48 AM, Paul wrote:

> Does anyone know of a user manual geared to the Cisco 7960g phones?

No, but if you find one let me know!

[snip]

> First there is the transfer.  Both the pound key (#) as well as the
> phones
> BlndXfr key work well for blind transfers.  I have not noticed an
> AMP /
> Asterisk hotkey for attended transfer and to do this with a 7960
> you must
> press More key on the phone then the Transfer key.

Investigate features.conf for the attended transfer option. Keep in
mind that if you use a code that starts with * you won't be able to
transfer calls incoming via queue (asterisk hangs up the call)

[snip]

> Next there is call forward, both on the phone and in AMP.  If the
> *72 is
> used with a dual server registered phone it will still receive
> calls from
> the backup proxy, whereas the phone CFwdAll will avoid that.

If the phone is registered with multiple extensions on the same or
different servers, you will have to dial *72 for each extension. This
is a good thing, as it provides more flexibility.

Also, keep in mind that (AFAIK) using the transfer, blind transfer,
and call forward buttons on the phone causes the phone to perform the
specified action. If you use Asterisk's built-in transfer and forward
capabilities, the action is performed at the server. One area where
the difference becomes important is if you have an extension set up
with a call limit of 2 and you perform an attended transfer using the
phone's button, the extension will not be able to receive a call
until the transferred call is hung up.

Somehow, that seems wacky, but I think that is the case. Someone
correct me if I am wrong.

Tom