[Asterisk-biz] any saudi DID's

Andrew Rufener arufener at thrupoint.net
Thu Oct 13 05:18:54 MST 2005

Rehan,
Your statement is not completely correct. Most regulatory frameworks in the
Middle East are still evolving due to the fact that the markets have just
opened up (example: Saudi) or are about to shortly (Oman, UAE etc.). VOIP or
IPT is NOT regulated per se (i.e. there is no specific mention of IPT
traffic in the frameworks) but call termination on a public network is
limited to (licensed) operators only. However, off-net traffic is not
regulated although nobody has let legally challenged the Incumbents position
of it being forbidden. Many corporations use off-et traffic (IP or TDM)
already. In addition incumbents like Etisalat in the UAE will even
officially allow customers to do off-net voice if the customer discloses it
and pays a 50% increase on his leased line fee.

So VoIP is possible and used by must be applied with caution and
understanding the specific countries regulation.

Andrew